NOT A POST ABOUT JSF
In a sushi restaraunt, at a corner-table not twenty blocks from the cubicle in which I am now bedded, I once chatted with literary ingenue humbly known as JSF, about a package a friend named Lucy had sent me the other day. The package was nothing but a kodak film reel, un-developed, with a taped note that said something like "unfurl me," and if you pulled out the film there was a letter—just a very long sentence, really—that followed the entire length of the thing like it was an enormous tongue and she was the Marquis de Sade. And I told him that I hadn't known why I had told him that, except that the letter had just made me want to do that to someone else—to send the same sort of package, to remake the same trick, with the feeling "why hadn't i thought of that," and I said something gushy like, "that was the same way reading EIL felt to me, like it was so good it made me feel like I should try to make something like that."
And he stopped me when I was talking about her letter and said something like:
"That's what all good art is: cyclical. It should just make you want to make more."
I'm thinking right now of four**** things that make me feel that way. If you're in a summer rut, these cured me.
1. Song: "Fistful of Love" by Antony & The Johnsons. .*
2. FIlm: Henry Fool dir. by Hal Hartley**
3. Miscellaneous: LISTEN TWICE. ***
*(The one featuring Lou Reed is obviously amazing as well. Also the Devendra Banhart cover of it on BLVR comp.)
**I linked to myself!
***Go out right now and buy a ticket to this. Best movie I've seen in theatres since Tenenbaums.
****I only thought of three. I guess the item above is sort of four.
And he stopped me when I was talking about her letter and said something like:
"That's what all good art is: cyclical. It should just make you want to make more."
I'm thinking right now of four**** things that make me feel that way. If you're in a summer rut, these cured me.
1. Song: "Fistful of Love" by Antony & The Johnsons. .*
2. FIlm: Henry Fool dir. by Hal Hartley**
3. Miscellaneous: LISTEN TWICE. ***
*(The one featuring Lou Reed is obviously amazing as well. Also the Devendra Banhart cover of it on BLVR comp.)
**I linked to myself!
***Go out right now and buy a ticket to this. Best movie I've seen in theatres since Tenenbaums.
****I only thought of three. I guess the item above is sort of four.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home